Sunday, March 02, 2008

What's In A Clock

I've been putting off buying an alarm clock ever since my trusty one, which had been with me for about 15 years, was stolen during the move to Phoenix (I'm still baffled by the stuff they took).  It was a Panasonic model, and we had developed a relationship through our years together.  The Alarm wasn't loud, the thing was old after all but that's how I liked it.  I knew not to put drinks on top of it because it would trigger the radio, and then I couldn't shut it off........oh, I miss the thing......we had some good times together.  But the time had come to let go and find a new replacement, which wasn't going to be easy because, you see........I hate rude awakenings;  I've been traumatized by the loud alarm that makes your heart jump and your brain think there's a 5 alarm fire in your building.  Granted, you realize it's the alarm right away, but your heart takes a bit to calm down and the feeling of dread lasts a bit longer.

I've been looking for the perfect alarm clock for some time now, not that I needed it since my internal clock wakes me up at the same time whether it's a holiday, weekend or regular day.......I'm working on fixing that.  I've gone through quite a few clocks on my quest, from the
$0.99 Ikea Alarm Clock - this little thing works great!  I had one in my bathroom, to remind me of the time so I wouldn't be late for work while getting ready; and one right on my beside table to wake me up.  The problem was that this thing is so loud that I could hear them both throughout the night, tic, tic, tic, tic, tic.......and sometimes their timing was off, tic, toc, tic, toc......with both clocks situated within 20 feet of each other is was like listening in stereo - that was short lived.

I've also tried the Vintage look.  I bought this Coca Cola Alarm clock through Avon; fell in love with it the moment I saw it and it brought back memories of times gone by.  It looks great, but it ticks loudly and boy, talk about a rude awakening!  When that alarm went off and I found myself jumping off the bed, hitting the ceiling, falling on the floor and then scrambling to shut the thing off, I knew the love affair had ended.  It was packed away never to be seen again.

I've gone without a clock for sometime now, relying on my cell phone alarm function or using my old palm pilot as an alarm clock.  Well, this week I decided it was time to get a real alarm clock and a trip to Target proved fruitful.  Introducing



The Emerson Research Alarm Clock.  Ah, technology has finally caught up with the times (and the needs of certain people).  This thing is amazing!!  From the fact that it sets itself, yes people, you don't have to tell it what time it is, just plug it in and let it do its job - and it's accurate!!  Then there's the usual dim feature that lets you determine how bright you want the display to be, thus preventing you from seeing those red numbers even when your eye lids are closed.....one of my requirements.  But the best part is that the alarm is graduated!!  No more rude awakenings!!  Graduated just means that it will start low and increase in noise level gradually, allowing you to wake up at your own pace.  Yes, yes....I know this specific function has been around for some time now, but I've never encountered a clock that wouldn't rush through the process - this one allows you to wake up without rush, quite pleasant if you ask me.   Emerson, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

No comments: