Sunday, December 23, 2007

P.S. I Love You

Sometimes there's only one thing left to say.........don't read the book before the movie! I have painfully learned this lesson with both P.S. I Love You and The Kite Runner. Both movies were done well, but the book was so much better. I understand that if they stay faithful to the books they would have to do sequels, but then again......that didn't' work for Harry Potter, did it? I'm a big fan of books on tape (or CD) and when they get the right narrator you can see the story unfold in your head like a movie. For P.S. I Love You the narrator was Bernadette Dunne and she did a fantastic job, able to portrait each character distinctively, accents and all. Don't get me wrong, I'm not dissing the movie, it was cute and the truth is I only saw it so I could see Gerry on a big screen, but....it really bothered me that they took such creative licenses with the book..... and the casting, well.........it was not all that good. Let's start with:

Harry Connick Jr. - He can sing, he can sometimes act, but this time he came across as retarded and I'm sure that after the premiere......when he saw himself on the big screen....he painfully realized this. Harry, stick to singing for the time being, and if you feel like acting just go Broadway. Let's move on to:

Hilary Swank - this is a comedy/drama, a dramedy if you will, and it's very difficult to pull both at the same time. She managed to do it most of the time, but sometimes it was overacted and it felt utterly fake. They also concentrated too much on her outfits and at times I felt like I was watching Anne Hathaway in "The Devil Wears Prada" - don't get me wrong, the outfits were really, really cute and she looked very, very stylish, but totally, totally wrong for this movie. Moving on to:

Lisa Kudrow - based on the previews everybody thought Lisa would steal the show, but she did not - she was totally miscasted as far as I'm concerned. And they should fire the person in charge of her makeup for this film, probably the same person who did Julia Roberts for "Charlie Wilson's War" - she looked old, and at times even decrepit.......and the hair.......the hair just doesn't work for me. Lisa, go back to healthy-looking flat hair, this style makes it look like you got electrocuted! And lay off the eye makeup!

Kathy Bates - Kathy, don't listen to the nay-sayers who think your time has passed and you should be happy to have supporting roles in comedies such as these. They are wrong! Look for parts that really suit you..........this one was not it, you pretty much killed the movie for me!

As for Gerry, well....he can do no wrong in my eyes, and not because I love him, but he did a great job with what he had to work with. Albeit, I'm afraid that it will not do much for his career because, although they sold this movie to us claiming he was in the lead role......he was just a supporting actor for Hilary's movie.


And finally, what's his name........James Dean something.......ah, Jeffrey Dean Morgan - well, I went to the movie not too thrilled about him and came out pleased. For one, he finally shaved - he was starting to look sickly; overall I was pleased with his acting, well done Jamie....err....Jim? Jeffrey!!

No comments: