Wednesday, June 20, 2007

It's all about the weight!

No, I'm not talking about human weight, diets or anything like that. This is an update on the tire situation. You see, like any savvy shopper I decided to check out all the deals available to me before spending $500 on the purchase of four new tires, so I went to Sam's club and this is what happened:

Me: Hi, I'm here to price some tires, here's what I need.
Tire Guy: Okay, the cheapest ones we have are $65 each.
Me: I didn't ask for the cheapest - I actually want Dunlop, the same ones that came with the car, I don't want cheap because that's what got me in trouble to begin with.
Tire Guy: What do you mean?
Me: They told me that the fact that I have one different tire is what's making the car shake so much.
Tire Guy: Well, not necessarily. Let me take a look at your tires, you may not need to buy all four.
Me: Are you sure? They told me that they were not good and I should replace them.
Tire Guy: I don't work on commission, like those other guys. Regardless of whether you buy tires or not, I still get paid the same so I have nothing to gain by scaring you into buying new tires.
Me: Okay, I'll pull over.
Tire Guy: Hmm, they look fine to me - let's check the weights, I have nothing to do right now so let me balance them and check the weights. It will cost you $15 and if the problem persists and you need to come back for the new tires then we'll deduct it from the price.
Me: Okay!

So I went shopping while they did this, which too less than 1/2 hour.

Tire Guy: You're all set, the weights were off in a couple of them and I cross-rotated them. You should be fine now, plus you have a least 6,000 miles to go before you need to replace these tires.
Me: And you don't think I'll have a problem.
Tire Guy: Drive it today and if you still have a problem come back tomorrow and we'll change the tires.
Me: Okay, thanks for your help, here...
Tire Guy: No Ma'am, we're not allowed to accept tips. There's no need for that, thanks is all I need.
Me: But take it, you've helped me immensely and nobody is looking!
Tire Guy: No Ma'am, thanks is all I need.
Me: Well, thank you very much then!

And guess what? I've been testing the car and it's back to normal! So I didn't need new tires after all! How sad it is to be misinformed and have people take advantage of you. Good thing there still are honest people out there.

No comments: