Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Throwing in the towel

I give up! I will never be one of the "Daring Bakers" - this cupcake thing is not working out. After trying a couple of them, the one that "did me in" was the rum cupcake - my supposed favorite. Everything went wrong midway through the process, the cakes came out fine, but when it came time for the frosting, my stubbornness got the better of me. I insisted on the Meringue frosting, furthermore, I made a double batch. It was wrong from the start, but I'm not one to give up that easily so I pressed on - and although I knew it was wrong from the moment I started whipping it, I kept at it and somehow convinced myself it would work. Went ahead and piled it up on top of my beautiful cupcakes - at this point my brain started mocking me by reminding me that I had paused in front of the already prepared frosting at the supermarket and had opted not to buy that $1.79 container.......the same one that would have saved me all the trouble just now. But I was overly confident, super optimistic that this would work out in the end.....hopefull???........so I went to bed and woke up early in the morning to what I knew was hopeless.......the "meringue" was kind-of melted on top of my beautiful cupcakes. What to do, what to do! I had to bring the cakes to work, and I just couldn't show up with that mess, so I had to get ready, run to the supermarket to buy that container of frosting I should have bought the day before, run back home to fix the cupcakes and go to work - all in 20 minutes! Done, and I learned both my lessons - 1. You will never be a good cupcake decorator, 2. Just in case you decide to try, always keep a can of frosting at hand.

No comments: