Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Mango Madness


I'm a tropical bird, and I love all tropical fruits......pineapple, coconut, bananas, guava, and of course, mango - the topic of the day.  I haven't been able to get a tasty mango at the supermarket in ages! they are always picked too green and taste too bland - if you've ever tasted a mango from the caribbean you would know the difference.  Last weekend I stopped at the supermarket and found that they had huge mangoes on sale for $1, but the catch was that they were all green - super green, not even good enough for mango salad.   I gave into temptation and bought a couple, but since they were greener than green I would have to device a plan to get them to ripen quickly.  I opted not to use my old method of putting them in the refrigerator and forgetting about them for a couple of months, because, the end result was not desirable.  I tried something new....how about if I just leave them outside?  Maybe the warm Arizona air (ha!) would speed the process.  And so I forgot about them for a couple of days, and guess what?  A miracle happened!!  Four days later I had the juiciest, tastiest mango I've had in the last 20 years!!  Don't believe me?  See for yourself!


I bet that if Eve had gone for the mango instead of the apple, things would be very different.

No comments: